Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Plan on Winning a Nobel Prize Next Year...

There has been a lot of discussion of Obama's Nobel Peace Prize in the last few days. I have to say, I was very confused when I first saw the headlines. I'm no longer confused, having read a few articles explaining why he won, but I do not think he deserved it.

In addittion to the overload of opinions about the prize, there have been accusations flying that Republicans have denounced the prize based on their partisanship. For the most part I think that is a load of crap. I have talked to people who stand all over the political spectrum, and not one of them said that Obama deserved the Nobel Peace Prize. It's not that these are Obama-haters, it's just that giving him the prize does not make a lot of sense.

The majority of positive opinions about the NPP going to Obama that I have seen have been either foreign or come from high-profile people, most notably Democrats. I think the press needs to stop perpetuating the "Only-Republicans-Would-Criticize-Obama" idea. Part of the beauty of our country is our ability to criticize our leaders. The idea that the worthwhile criticisms - the constructive ones - are the ones that will be considered. The system is not perfect, but that doesn't mean we should throw out any and all criticism as simply partisan-based.

Anyway, I am declaring my major this week. I have decided on Economics. I think, next year, I should get the Nobel Prize for Economics for the work I am going to do!

No comments: